Monday, November 26, 2007

Recently Completed Sweaters


I made this sweater (from the Crocheted Sweaters book by Susan Huxley) for my mom, at her request. When she saw the one I'd made for myself a couple of years back, she really wanted this to go with a skirt that she was having trouble matching to a top. So I recently completed this, only for us to discover that the colors didn't quite match with the colors in the skirt anymore (they certainly seemed to when we held the balls of yarn next to it - go figure!); I think it had a lot to do with the unusual pattern scheme in the skirt. In any case, she has since purchased two skirts that match her new sweater perfectly (yes, that's the answer -- buy more clothes - LOL!). I really didn't want to make this sweater again because I found when making mine that Microspun was somewhat frustrating to work with, it splits a lot. But as I mentioned in an earlier post, changing to a different type of hook really helped with that problem.


I made this sweater from the Blue Heaven pattern in the May 2006 issue of Crochet! magazine. Since I was using a double-knit weight yarn (Patons Grace), a D hook and a single crochet stitch for the majority of the sweater, I wouldn't exactly say that I was in "heaven" while making this! It seemed to take forever and the only fun part for me was when I got to make the lace. It's probably a good thing that the pattern was designed to work the lace as the last thing on the front/back and sleeves, or else I might have given up on this one. I'm glad that I didn't though. :-)

2 comments:

Sandhya Karandikar said...

Oh! Ilkie these too. I like the way you have varied the lace portion. The one in more than one colour,with less of the lace pattern, looks very nice and mumsy. You know what I mean by that, very lady like and a little elderly.

Anonymous said...

Gemlady, Great job on the sweater for your mother. Sharon